Jazz and the Devil

One of the best laughs I had all week was to be had when I opened up this week's Wylie News and read the article on the Wylie Jazz & Arts Festival. The festival organizers wish to have wine sales and you would swear all holy hell is about to break loose.  Nowhere but in Texas does one have such a difficult time getting a damned drink.

I couldn't believe the Blue Laws here when I moved to Texas.  You could only buy alcohol within the Dallas city limits. Jeez, in Michigan you can buy it at the corner grocery store. 

I always found these laws to aid in making alcohol seem somehow illicit.  Unfortunately the laws also made it that much more desirable, quite the opposite effect intended.

When beer and wine sales were approved in Plano, I thought I would pee myself with delight.  No longer did I have to plan a trip to Dallas for my Thanksgiving or Christmas Day toast.  Yet I still enjoyed having a full bar in the house and the distance to Dallas made it such that we looked like a bunch of alcoholics when we made the annual shopping trip.  There would be rum, gin, dry vermouth for martinis, tequila, and of course my favorite Polish potato vodka, Chopin.  More recently there has been the desire for a good glass of Port after a nice meal.  Every so often I would covet a Kahlua and Cream, and on those rare nights I couldn't sleep a short glass of  Irish Cream would do the trick.

Growing up we were able to offer my parent's favorite Highball to guests, along with a host of other special drinks.  At the holidays my dad would make Tom and Jerry's, with a jigger of rum and warm milk, they were the highlight of a cold snowy evening. It feels so grown up to be able to have a very classy full bar rather than have people come over who only prefer to pound back a case of brewskis.  Sometimes it's just nice to be able to entertain with the most 'in' martini, mojito, or sangria. 

When I made my way in the article to the bit where Councilwoman Culver is quoted as saying, "Yay on the wine!" I conjured up her boisterous voice in my head and could see her with some red wine nose and rosy cheeks.  In all actuality, the quote seemed designed to make her look like a hillbilly, but despite that I could totally get where she was coming from.  How many times did I sit at one of those outdoor July Jubilees and pine for a nice glass of wine or something a little more tropical.  At the first outdoor concert my friends and I attended, before the blogger was the blogger, I recall asking Mayor Eric Hogue right after he was elected if he would go get us some beer. My friends and I laughed raucously.   I giggle about it now because being a teetotaler, I'm sure he was totally mortified. 

I completely understand what the organizers are going for.  Nice smoky jazz music with classy people enjoying a cheese platter and a glass of wine.  Rather those against the dreaded hussy-making alcohol are fearful there will be people falling down drunk, pissing in the gardens, and passing out under the sculptures.  This would be why you have the police there.  This is also why you go for the upscale food and music, and art booths as the organizers are pushing for.  Wylie deserves to be a destination, but it will never be without some adult entertainment.  Mayor and his pal Councilman Stephens should be happy that the event is being treated with such class, and get over their own fear of devil.