Pecked to Death

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight another blog that I have been following.  It is listed in my blog list in the sidebar: My 57 Cents.

I only recently met these fine people, just last week. Though I had heard in my various discussions around the City of Wylie about the 'firing' highlighted in the blog, I had also heard by someone on council that it was considered to be 'justified'.

I wonder where they gleaned that judgment from. From one-sided testimony? We're talking executive sessions stuff here and I know first-hand what goes on during these secret little meetings.  The sad part is, that most City employees don't know about a neat little trick to bring unjustified secret meeting stuff that is allowed in executive sessions to the forefront. 

According to the State of Texas governmental codes, Section 551.074 Personnel Matters Closed Meetings (A), an employee has the right to request their personnel matter be held in an open meeting, rather than in an executive session.

If only more employees of abusive municipalities knew this. 

This code is an important tool for municipal employees because it is a means by which an employee can get such underhanded, and often misinformed decisions brought before the public.  After all, open meetings are open meetings and it becomes very difficult to provide misinformation to a Council where it is not open for public scrutiny.  I've seen it before, where an employee requests an executive session regarding them be held publicly and suddenly the meeting is removed from the agenda.

I am convinced that had this gentleman who was fired by the City of Wylie forced his personnel matter be held in the public domain, these people would not have been allowed to be bullied by Wylie City leaders.

What I find most interesting of all through reading their stories is that many of the same things said about them have been said about myself.  The questioning as to whether I was a 'good Christian' or not, etc. The difference is, this is a genteel, and polite couple who don't have the gumption to tell the Mayor and others to back the hell off.  An unfortunate consequence is that they are perceived as being 'weak' in the coop are being pecked to death.   I, on the other hand, have had no trouble with this because of my loose cannon nature.  One never knows quite what I will say next and just who I know.  So too people cannot quite be sure just who is feeding me information because it could be their next door neighbor or even their best friend confiding in me.  I most certainly will not allow Mayor and others to get away with abusing me and have found that bringing their missteps to light publicly has had its benefits.  I believe that through the My 57 Cents blog, these people may just be able to find some rest as well.

And they are not alone.  As Americans watch themselves be abused daily by the thugs in Washington DC, as well as locally by councils who wish to increase property taxes during dire economic times such as in Garland, or who refuse to lower them to something quasi-reasonable such as in Wylie, I can only surmise one thing:  Shit rolls uphill and its up to We the People to stop it.