Monday, May 4, 2015

Tit for Tat



By now you have heard about the two terrorists who visited Garland, Texas all the way from sunny Phoenix, Arizona. Seems they didn't like the cartoon the prophet event, or whatever it is that Pamela Geller put on with her American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI) group. Personally I thought it was in poor taste and I would no more rather see cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad than I would cartoons of Jesus. It's just plain antagonistic.


Though the event has been called hateful by the liberal media, I don't view it as a 'hate speech' event. However, I do view it akin to poking a stick at a bear, just because we can. There are other ways to skin that bear.  I suppose if the goal was to draw out radical Islamists just so we can shoot them dead, then that's what we got. And don't tell me AFDI didn't know what could happen because they spent $10K for extra security for the event. If they didn't think their event would antagonize the little sleeper cells in this country then they were seriously misguided. You don't put an event on like this after Charlie Hebdo, and not expect some sort of backlash from these radicalized Islamists.


So do we back down or do we give the radical Islamists a rigidly extended middle finger? Either way is unpleasant. I feel this could have been handled in a much better fashion, at least a lot more tasteful than the tit for tat event held at the very same venue as the Sound Vision group who had two controversial Imams with known terrorist ties speak last January. Pamela Geller could have held her event somewhere else, but she came back to this small venue for obvious retaliatory reasons. That decision was purposeful and pointed, make no mistake. Thankfully no innocent bystanders were seriously injured, though I feel they were knowingly placed in harms way. Yet those who attended, and it looked like very few from the photos, went willingly. That's the beauty of freedom in America.


Despite the distaste I hold for this event and despite the love I have for our freedom of speech, I find the response to AFDIs event particularly interesting. The difference is at the Freedom of Speech Rally in January, Christians did not arrive shooting up the place.  Yet this event incited an act of terrorism involving obviously radicalized Islamists. Still I feel that we cannot back down or every aspect of our way of life in America will be destroyed.


The response to these radical Islamists was a swift and acceptable punishment to their crime, though the Draw the Prophet event was a bit misguided, in my opinion. I just don't want to see Pamela Geller inciting radicalism to support her narrative on Islam. It's akin to shooting spit-wads at the school bully just to prove he is a bully.