Collin College Earns a Pass, While Wylie Earns a Fail


Until now, I have remained quiet over the Collin College bond vote. Truth is, I did not want to appear biased due to relationships I have with Collin and with the architect firm they worked with to come up with the bond figures. I have a son who interns for the architect firm and every person in my family has attended Collin dating back many years.

It's true, Wylie is the highest taxed city in all of North Texas, and adding any additional taxes to that from the Collin College district is not very appealing.

That said, we need an educated population and Collin has remained debt free, until this expansion, proving they have been very good stewards of the tax money we pay them.

The school is at capacity and I would never wish for students to be turned away because there is no available space.

Both my sons attended Collin and it was an awesome way to make their transfers to UTD and UTA a lot more affordable. In fact, both my husband, myself and my oldest son all have AA degrees from Collin. and my husband and I both have gone on to graduate school after earning BAs, and I suspect both of my sons will do the same thing. We can attest to the quality of education we received from the school.

Now flip all that I have admitted to upside-down while you consider the fact that I am a fiscal conservative, and the idea of increasing taxes leaves me with a bad case of cognitive dissonance over this vote.

I do not care for the .12/100 but to be honest, it is no different than the .9+/100 blank check we handed the City of Wylie over a decade ago. The city has never increased our taxes to that level, and I would not anticipate the college to do so either; not as long as we are vigilant taxpayers and we remind our mayor how bad he looks every time he threatens citizens with that rate.

A simplified explanation of how adding higher education to Wylie improves property values can be understood by what it brings the community. Creating a workforce that is better educated, increases property values. This in turn,entices companies and higher paying jobs to the area. As businesses move in or open as a result of the influx of students, faculty and administration, they reap sales tax which is a source of revenue for the city. The addition of supporting businesses also increases our property values.

With increasing property values and tax revenue, the idea is that the city will reduce our tax rate as their revenue increases. Though they have done this at low levels the past four or five years in a row, our taxes are still increasing because they refuse to roll-back the rate every time our property values increase.

I am not so concerned about our taxes increasing as a measure of this bond as I am over our city taxes increasing because of our property values, which represents the lion share of what we are paying every year. My beef with our tax rate remains with the City of Wylie, and not with Collin College or Wylie ISD, who do more to improve property values than the city has ever done.

In reality, our city tax rate is an abomination and, I will continue to place the onus for our high taxes on Wylie's city manager, administration and bobble-head council members who seem fine with the continued spending spree. as find acrobatic new ways to spend the tax revenue windfall they received the last several years, and will receive for the foreseeable future.

I will not take out our high taxes on Collin College. I will be voting in support of this measure.