Exercising Civility



I know my writing can carry a bite sometimes. For those who have cringed at some of my blistering handiwork, it's probably difficult to imagine that I'm actually quite polite in person. My friends have all realized that it's just the way I write my blog. It's not personal.

When I write, it's easier for me to remove unnecessary emotion in order to get to the meat of things. It's like eating rabbit and not thinking about a cute, cuddly animal with whiskers and floppy ears. Do you focus on the face of whatever meat you are eating? Sometimes it's just better not to.

When I write, for example, that snowflakes lying in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs at UC Berkeley are are just plain stupid, I'm not really providing any new information here. Mature adults already know it is. I'm just verbally walloping the morons, who needed a good smack on the backside when they were squalid brats, playing with their Barbies or Legos. Spare the rod, spoil the child, and all that.

This is not to say I call people fat or ugly; I would honestly be more predisposed to self-deprecate in that department. The fact is, I find all people beautiful and interesting until an ugly soul oozes out of them. Like Miley Cyrus. Now there's someone that started oozing black puss a handful of years ago.

With the advent of new media, there's something truly liberating about being able to say what's really on your mind. When someone is a virtual and literal ass, it can feel good to give them the what-for. Except, does it really? Maybe we only revel in the instant gratification, but it hasn't removed the anger from us which continues to eat away at our soul.

Still, I actually miss the days of biting our tongue. In doing so, it meant that we actually had to exercise civility; plain ole' get over it; move along cupcake; grow up; stop being a damned crybaby.

I think we have learned, over time, that we can somehow change how unfair life is by letting things fester until they explode colors, instead of putting on our big-kid pants, forgiving and forgetting. As a society, we have moved way beyond civility.

The new "thing" appears to be micro-boycotting everything, and it started with social media.

What do we do when we dislike something one of our Facebook friends has said, supports or believes in? We unfriend them. In doing so, we secretly hope they will recognize our moral superiority in the virtual shunning.

It's not civil. The civil thing would be to actually do some adulting; that is to speak with them if they are hurting us. But is someone's opinion really hurting us, or are we just being sissies about everything?

If all else fails, we can simply stop following them. I've stopped following a bunch of people from my high school days. Their views, language and humor aren't exactly my cuppa, but if I needed something from them, they would be there for me in a heartbeat. They are my people. We grew up together. It is insulting to toss away others for their thoughts, unless they are hurting us in some way.

Nowadays, when public figures don't like something, they flex their egotistical muscle in protest, by withholding their presence. Such as New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady who is skipping a visit to the White House along with a handful of other D-bags who don't like Trump. They are micro-boycotting President Donald Trump by withholding their person from him. How stupid is that.

Oh yes, his excuse is "family matters", but it isn't as if we can believe that crap anymore, particularly when too many Patriots are skipping to make it excusable. In my opinion, the selfish behavior of public figures has become more embarrassing than Trump's past juvenile behavior. They are supposed to be setting an example of acceptable behavior for their fans, not rolling in the mud.

To me, this speaks more about the lack of quality in their character, than it does about Trump's. It takes a mature person to be civil to someone they disagree with or don't like. In fact, civility is really just a muscle that we need to exercise more. The more civil you are, the more you walk in the grace of God.

I would never snub someone by walking by and pretending they aren't there, even if I don't care for that person or what they stand for. I can't stand our Representative Pete Sessions, but were I to be invited to his office to meet with him, I certainly wouldn't skip it to prove some point to myself. The point would certainly be lost on him because he isn't going to change what he's doing just for me. I'm pretty sure I cannot count him as a fan of mine, but he certainly doesn't ignore me. He takes my questions at Town Halls, and there has even been discourse. We exercise civility.

This is much unlike the throngs of sobbing college students who have been using the media to wheedle Trump, and doing so because civility is a lost art on them. Instead of acting like educated, mature adults, they fall to the ground and flail about like willful two-year-old children.

Unfortunately, this practice seems to be a liberal trait, where id is stroked to climax by enablers such as weak parents who are afraid to adult, weak media that have an agenda and evil forces working to fundamentally strip morals and values from our society.

New media has made it easy to be uncivil and technology has aided and abetted this by allowing people to hide behind a screen. Sadly, it's just easier than exercising our atrophied civility muscles.

Image credit: peoplethink.biz