Frienemies

Last week a friend of mine in Wylie lost her husband to a massive heart attack.  He was only 51 years young.  Oh, and it was the day before their 27th anniversary.  This tragedy doesn’t end there.  This woman is the loveliest of women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing; she has a smile that can warm your toes.  This is an absolutely gorgeous lady inside and out who not only had to deal with the loss of her sibling last year, but also won a battle with breast cancer the year before that.  How does this happen, and who deserves this anyway?  Nobody.  Not ever.

I got to thinking about all of the people that touch my life in one way or another and that I truly appreciate.  So I’m going to get all sappy about the good things my friends and frienemies bring to me every week because I wouldn’t change any of it for anything in the world. 

There is a special place in my heart for Councilman Bennie Jones.  He has a very sweet soul and I love that smile and laugh.  He has one of those warm milky sort of voices you just want to sink into like a warm towel.

I have a soft spot for Mayor Eric Hogue.  He’s all business at the beginning of council meetings, but as they near the end, and most particularly on long meetings, he gets a bit slap happy and silly and he laughs more.  It always makes me laugh, too.  Thanks for the giggles at the end of every meeting, Eric.  I go home happy to have taken part every time.

How about Wylie View co-administrator Alicia White?  Sometimes she can be pretty intense, as we saw at the last council meeting.  However when she sat in the audience at the candidate forum, I saw an intense look of love and tenderness between her and the hubs, Councilman Rick White as he initially struggled through his first question.  For a moment, I thought I might actually like the woman.

Then there is City Manager, Mindy Manson whose soft and smooth voice is like a spoonful of honey.  She truly is a classy lady who works very hard for the citizens.

The Library Ladies are special, because they truly care and they are so determined and committed.  I am always happy to see them at meetings.

Gilbert Tamiez sitting in the front row is a staple at the meetings.  Though I doubt we agree on much of anything, personally I find him to be a very nice gentleman.

Mayor Pro Tem Red Byboth is probably the most outspoken one sitting up there.  He is the most Red-necked Yankee I believe I’ve come across yet, however despite that gravely outer shell, I’ve come to know his inner marshmallow, but don’t let him know you know about that soft side because he’ll vehemently deny it.

Councilwoman Kathy Spillyards is a truly beautiful and classy woman whose smile lights up the chamber.  I like that we both share a soft spot in our hearts for art.

WISD Trustee Barbara Goss is like an angel with that kind aura that surrounds her.  She is patient and intelligent and I know with her on the board of education that our students are in good hands.

Councilman David Goss is like the little brother I never had.  It’s fun to push his buttons, but I have to be careful he doesn’t pick me up and spin me around until I get sick, in true sibling fashion. 

Having councilwoman Diane Culver around is like having your own personal comic strip.  Every time I speak with her I find myself laughing.  I think we could keep each other highly entertained for months, would we were marooned on an island.   Well at least I would have washboard abs from all the laughing  anyway.

Though I have never met him, I have a soft spot for Mayor John Mondy. I believe he single-handedly started Wylie on the path toward what it is today and for that I thank him.

I appreciate Wylie News staff writer Judy Truesdell because she is a steadfast member in attendance at every meeting and she works very hard to bring the news to the people who are unable to attend.

Though we do not always agree on the issues at hand, these are people I have come to have a profound appreciation for.  I know that their hearts are in the right place, and ultimately they want what is right for Wylie.  For those not serving on a board or council, I hope they continue their interest in making Wylie a better place to live.  For those serving on a board or council, I hope that they will take the time to learn about and appreciate those whose lives they touch every day with the decisions they make.